So this year I decided that because I loved English so much I would take a poetry class. I entered the class with very little knowledge of how the class was run. I did enjoy reading poetry but I've never really looked into it. Past teachers that I've had did run a poetry unit in their classes but they seemed to just brief over it and try not to actually dig into what poetry really was. When I started the class I thought that poetry was all about rhyme and structure, something I didn't want to get involved in. As the class progressed I realized that what I thought poetry was, wasn't actually what it is. I came to realize that poetry was more about expression and feelings. I slowly learned to put myself out on the line with my poetry and emotions. I feel that it helped me a lot with so much. My teacher, Mr. Kavanagh, tested our abilities with prompts and assignments for new poems. These prompts included: Identity, Characters, 2nd Person, Symbolism, Anything, Empathy, 'I Believe Words Can...', Love, and Spoken poetry. Each prompt was a new challenge for me.
This Poem was for the idea of, "A song of Love and Hate". It was a contrast poem about things we liked and didn't like. This is mine:
"Half Priced Humans With Two Colored Eyes."
Technical, complex, demanding creatures,
Humans, us, where we fit in,
Our eyes crafted from stars,
Cobalt, emerald, silver,
Hazel, auburn, charcoal,
No one color assigned into eyes.
But mixtures, combinations, problems,
Puzzles compose us,
Our soft fair skin,
As if snow look dingy,
Nature held in our impulse to touch and hold,
Curiosity to open locked doors,
To understand our world,
Grace to look and leap with
Illuminated faith and delicate dreams.
Humans, us, where we fit in,
Greedy to have,
To steel,
To own,
Caging ambitions, animals, and opinions,
Cluttered with possessions and filthy
half filled egos,
Our annoyances form dingy allusions
To ugly truths slaughtered with lies.
Showing only our rugged oppression
to hopeless belief,
And broken blooded family ties,
Repulsive when we slam insult
into open wounds.
Humans, us, where we fit in,
Mixed and unsettled,
Like a dog with two colored eyes,
One black,
One blue,
No certain solution to ourselves,
Technical, complex, demanding creatures,
Humans, us, where we fit in.
No comments:
Post a Comment