Monday, May 13, 2013

What it's like to grow up


So it's finally the week of Finals. I think I can do it! It's only four days with 7 finals and getting out at 1:40 everyday. I CAN DO IT!!! 
This weekend I went to Albuquerque with my band. We were supposed to go the Chicago for our band vacation but it got canceled. So instead we went to the water park and spent the night there. It was a lot of fun, except I fell down the stairs..... But I got to play water basketball with a bunch of the guys. That was fun, but I got a bunch of bruises from it. OH WELL!!! The hotel had sleep number beds, which were beautiful. My friend Emma and I roomed together and I put my bed as soft as it would go and she put hers as hard as it would go. Then we jumped on them!! So much fun. The next day we went to the amusement park and we rode all of the rides. It was totally worth it, even if I'm totally bruised. While we were in the hotel we stole the pillows from everyone's room and put it in my friends room. We made a fort! Then I got to sleep with 7 pillows!! 


This is one of my favorite Spoken word poems.

This is my poem!!


“What it's like to grow up."

A pretty little girl,
Sitting at her own perfect table,
A pink frilly dress and delicate curls to match,
Her feet in Mommy's high heels,
Plastic pearls around her neck.
Her tiny hands lifting the tea pot,
Her words asking, "One lump or Two?"
 
A heroic little boy,
Leaping off the back of the couch,
jumping on pillows,
and flying like a super hero
to avoid touching the lava floor.
He never wants to take and nap,
Daddy carries him to bed each night.
 
Two mirrored siblings
Playing at the park,
Rushing down the plastic slides,
Race to the monkey bars,
And crying to be pushed higher on the swings.
They never get bored together,
Always there for each other.
 
We all did these things,
But at what age does this just fall away?
When does the tea party end,
The lava floor harden,
And we stop asking to be pushed higher?

You know,
Our imaginations took the first rusted boat away from here,
The monsters no longer live in the closet,
But instead inside of us.
Popsicles on hot summer days turned into
cigarettes on cold lonely nights,
Skirts became shorter,
Nights out became longer.
  
Our innocence had been shot
Like a small bird from the sky.
We're all corrupted,
None of us are flawless,
And we're all too far away to go back to the way it was before.

Eventually,
Pretty little girls become known sluts,
and easy whores,
Heroic little boys become sketchy outcasts,
and  junkies by the hour,
And siblings become watched thieves,
Until one of them puts a bullet in their head.

 
It's all about getting older,
And admit it,
We all couldn't wait to grow up,
Maybe even a little too soon.
You don't realize how fucked up we are
Until you look back and see how perfect we were.
 
When Mommy and Daddy can't solve your problems,
When the pain is inside of you instead of a scraped knee,
When steady drinking is the only thing that gets you to sleep at night,
That's the moment when you realize,
That this is what it's like to grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment